Early Childhood Caries, also known as nursing bottle caries affects children aged between 0-6 years. It is acute decay in anterior and molar teeth of children. Chocolates, ice creams, sweet foods are major causes for tooth decay in children. According to the studies, 1 out of 3 children suffer from tooth decay and infections.
It may be difficult to control the food habits of children but it is important to take care of little things like brushing twice a day and ensuring they thoroughly wash their mouth after their meal. Parents should be careful about their child’s health and must inculcate such habits at an early age so that children learn what is important and how to take care of it.
Some common causes of ECC:
Dental caries is often caused among toddlers due to uncurbed consumption of sweet food and liquids like sugar, juice and milk. These products tend to remain in the mouth for long hours causing decay in teeth.
Streptococcus Mutans, is the bacteria responsible for ECC. This bacteria feed on the sugar residues on the teeth as their nourishment and release acids that destroy the teeth.
Therefore, best dentist in Delhi suggests that as a parent, it is important for you to never neglect symptoms like pain in teeth, difficulty in talking and eating. If your child ever complains about dental issues, take him/her to the doctor immediately. Otherwise it can aggravate the problem which can leave you highly disappointed.
There are many cases where due to negligence, the infected tooth gets severely decayed and has to be removed by the dental surgery doctor . Bacterial infection in the teeth spread much faster, hence it is important for you to control the infection at an early stage.
Good practices for preventing ECC
ECC can be prevented among children through proper dental care. The following points must be taken care of:
- Do not give your child milk bottle throughout the day. Give it only during the meal time and make sure he does not sleep with the bottle in his mouth.
- Ensure your child uses the right brush and toothpaste and brushes teeth twice a day – once in the morning and once before bedtime is important.
- Control the intake of sugary drinks and snacks. Follow a balanced diet to ensure proper amount of nutrients reach your child.
- Go for regular health checkups with dentist.
Brushing techniques for kids
Any warning signs must be considered seriously and should be reported to the doctor. Although, there are children who do not want to brush regularly but you need to be innovative and make them brush twice a day without fail.
Here are some tricks from the best dentist in Delhi which might be helpful to you:
- You can purchase cool and funky cartoon character tooth brushes for kids. They are always inclined towards super heroes and such tooth brushes can be helpful!
- You can try competing with your kid; who brushes first. Take care to ensure time for brushing should not be less than 2 minutes.
- You can read out exciting 2 minutes stories about his super heroes. This might motivate him to brush his teeth regularly.
- Place a 2-minute timer and play his songs. This will instill a competitiveness in him and he will also learn about the time duration of brushing teeth.
Saroj Hospital has the best dental surgery doctor in Delhi who can educate you about taking care of oral health both for you and children. If your child shows any pain or discomfort in their teeth, you must visit the best dental surgery clinic in Delhi.