A Liver donor is a person who is prepared to help the patient requiring a liver transplant by giving him a part of healthy and well functioning liver. After a transplant surgery, both the donor and the patient’s liver grow to their normal sizes.
If you have prepared yourself for this task, then you must gear up physically and mentally as well. In this article, we are going to prepare you physically and mentally for a transplant surgery.
How to prepare yourself mentally?
If you have decided or are still thinking about being a donor for the transplant surgery, you must analyze your psychology or mental state. You have to double ensure that you are 100% ready for it.
Talk to the doctor or any psychologist in the panel
If you want, you can talk to the doctor or can take psychological tests in order to ensure that you are absolutely okay with being a donor to the liver transplant surgery. In such tests, you are asked questions or given situations about the pre and post surgery readiness. Your answers and responses are analyzed summing up your mind state.
The most important thing is that you have to be psychologically fit. You should not unnecessarily think about what and how the transplant will be carried out or what will happen after it. You have to remain calm and composed. The liver transplant is an easy going surgery that keeps the donor safe and healthy.
How to prepare physically?
We have to jot down certain important pointers that you must follow before and after the liver transplant surgery to keep yourself healthy.
Preparing before the surgery:
- Keep away from heavy or oily food items.
- Do not drink or smoke.
- You should avoid red meat or other non vegetarian fatty food.
- Do not consume canned food and carbonated or fizzy drinks.
- Say no to too much sugar coated items as well.
You should eat light, homemade and healthy food. You must include nuts, fruits, juices, vegetables, legumes as much as you can, so that your body derives sufficient nutrients and prepares best for the transplant surgery.
What to pack before you leave for the liver transplant surgery?
You are going to be under doctor’s observation for at least for 2-3 weeks, so you must pack your bags accordingly.
- Keep fresh clothes and inner wears accordingly.
- If you get bored easily then keep your favorite novel, magazines etc.
- If you feel comfortable in your bed sheet and pillow covers then you must pack them too.
- Do not forget to pack your bathroom slippers or footwear that will make you comfortable after the surgery.
Preparing post the surgery:
- Eat healthy and stick to your diet plan as prescribed by the doctor or dietician.
- Do not change or make alteration in the medicinal course, if suggested any.
- Engage in light exercises as suggested by the specialists.
- Go for the regular checkups after you are discharged from the hospital.
We hope this will help you in preparing the bet for the liver transplant surgery.
In case you need to know more about your requirements for being a donor for a liver transplant surgery, you may write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at +91 8130290756 or +911147903333 or +9111 27903333