Pulmonology & Sleep Medicine department is dedicated to provide comprehensive treatment for an array of respiratory and sleep disorders such as COPD, Pneumonias, Sleep apnoea, Insomnia and Asthma. The department works with the core philosophy that all the patients require round the clock treatment for respiratory diseases and we constantly strive to provide them a personalized care at our hospital.
Equipped with latest technology and backed by a dedicated team of highly qualified respiratory physicians and trained hospital staff including physiotherapists and counselors, the department offers the most advanced respiratory care to patients of all age groups. The team of expert doctors at the department offers holistic treatment for the management of pulmonary conditions.
The patient care services offered by the department include Clinical Pulmonology, Interventional Pulmonology with Interventional Bronchoscopy & Medical Thoracoscopy with smoke deaddiction & COPD clinic, PFT, Asthma-Allergy and Treatment of Sleep Disorders.
- Interventional Pulmonology – Both diagnostic and therapeutic interventional procedures including Trans-bronchial Needle Aspiration (TBNA), Trans-bronchial Lung Biopsy (TBLB) and Removal of foreign body are carried out at the department.
The most advanced Interventional Pulmonology procedures carried out at the department include:
- Bronchoscopic Argon Plasma Coagulation
- Bronchoscopic Electrocautery for the treatment of endobronchial obstruct tion lesions such as benign tumors, lung cancers, subglottic stenosis and traceheo-bronchial stenosis
- Tracheo-bronchial stenting – It is done for the treatment of central and peripheral airway obstruction caused due to some diseases such as trachea-esophageal fistula, sub-glottic stenosis and cancers.
- Rigid Bronchoscopy – Done for both diagnostic and therapeutic reasons such as foreign body removal, stenting and tumour removal
- Bronchoscopic Laser Ablation – Done to remove trachea-bronchial tumors, management of trachea-bronchial stenosis and subglottic stenosis
- Cryotherapy & Cryo ablation with Cryobiopsy
- EBUS - Endobronchial placement of mediastinal lymph nodes & peripheral lesion with radial & linear probe
- Medical Thoracoscopy – Involves examination of pleural space with the help of insertion of an endoscope like device called a thoracoscope through a little hole in the chest.
- Pleural Aspiration – Done for the diagnosis of pleural diseases as well as for providing therapeutic benefit in cases of few of the respiratory conditions
- Intercostal Drain – Some of the diseases of pleura involve accumulation of pus/air/fluid in the chest cavity and cause compression of the lungs and for this the pus needs to be drained out with the help of a pigtail or a thin tube.
- Pleural Hypertension – Involves Diagnosis and Management of Right Heart Catheterization.
- Non – Invasive Ventilation – Ventilation is achieved non-invasively with positive pressure devices like BiPAP.
- Pulmonary Function Tests (PFT) – These are the tests done to assess the functional status of lungs with the help of Spirometers and detect the cause of breathlessness. PFT measures how well a person can inhale and exhale air and how well the gaseous exchange occurs between atmosphere and body’s circulation. The diseases such as asthma, bronchitis, COPD and ILD are diagnosed with the help of PFT.
- Allergy – Comprehensive diagnosis and management of allergy including IgE therapy.
- Routine Management Of Respiratory Disorders – Respiratory disorders such as Tuberculosis, Pneumonia, COPD, Pleural Effusion, Sarcoidosis, Pulmonary Edema, Pneumothorax, Pulmonary Embolism and sleep disorders such as Obstructive sleep apnea, central apnea are treated by our experts.
- Treatment for Sleep Disorders – We provide comprehensive services including assessment, diagnosis and treatment for a wide range of sleep disorders such as obstructive sleep apnea, sleep disordered breathing, parasomnias, snoring, insomnia and REM disorders. The department is equipped with ALICE – 5 Sleep Lab with PDX and Ambulatory Somnography.
Infrastructure & Technology
- State of the art Video-Bronchoscope & Thoracoscope
- ALICE – 5 Sleep Lab with PDX and Ambulatory Somnography
- Air Pulmonary Function Testing
- Allergy testing kits
- CO monitoring for smoke deaddiction
The department has latest technology equipments such as Video-Brochoscope and the procedures such as Interventional Bronchoscopy, both rigid and flexible with Cryo recanalization and Cryobiopsies, Medical Thoracoscopy, Placements of stents and removal of SEMAS, Balloon dilatation, Endobronchial placement of
glue in Haemoptysis and BPF, Percutaneous Traceheostomy are being performed.