Anaesthesiology is a branch of medicine, dedicated to providing pain relief, unconsciousness and complete vital care to the patients; before, during and after the surgery.
The department of Anaesthesiology at the hospital is a state of the art department offering excellent anaesthesia, critical care services to patients in the perioperative setup and excellent pain management services. The department of anaesthesiology is one of the prime specialities at Saroj Super Speciality Hospital owing to adoption of cutting edge technology and the premise with which it has been working to provide utmost care to its patients.
The department of Anaesthesiology not only renders its services at state of the art Operation Theatres but also extends its services from Preanaesthesia clinic to Intensive Care Units and Post Anaesthesia Care Units. The department caters to a wide range of specialities varying from General surgery, Orthopaedics, ENT, Ophthalmology, Gynae & Obstetrics, Urology, Paediatrics, Cardiac surgery, Gastroenterology, Neurosurgery and Surgical Oncology. It also has been offering services to department of Cardiac Catheterization Unit and department of Radiology & Imaging.
At Saroj Super Speciality Hospital, our aim is to make patients comfortable with the surgical procedures by bringing in a positive change in their perception and attitude through our excellent services of anaesthesia, critical care services and pain management programs.
Types of Anaesthesia
A wide variety of drugs are used individually or in combination in order to make the patients relaxed, comfortable and pain free during any surgery or procedure. Following are the different types of anaesthesia:
- Local Anaesthesia – Involves injecting local anaesthetic into an area of the tissue near the surgical site. It may be given alone or in combination with sedation or general anaesthesia depending upon the duration of the surgery and preference of the patient. It is usually used in cases of minor surgery such as skin lesion or toenail repair surgery.
- Regional Anaesthesia – Injection of local anaesthetic around the major nerve bundles supplying various regions of body such as hand, forearm, shoulder, abdomen, thighs or ankle. Regional anaesthesia is administered with the help of a nerve-locating device such as ultrasound or a nerve stimulator. After local anaesthesia, it may become difficult to move that part of the body as the patient experiences numbness and tingling in that area.There are several types of regional anaesthesia, the most common of which are spinal and epidural anaesthesia.
- Sedation – It is a method of bringing the patients into a reduced level of consciousness, however allowing them to respond to the stimuli of light touch and verbal commands, thus helping the specialist to perform a procedure. Some of the commonly used medications include benzodiazepines, opioids which cause sedation and provide pain relief to the patients.
- General Anaesthesia – Involves administration of anaesthetics which induce a state of controlled unconsciousness in patients undergoing any surgery. The anaesthetic may be so strong that the patients may stop responding to the pain sensations and it may also induce changes in their breathing and circulation. The anaesthetists continuously monitor the patients during general anaesthesia and carefully manage their airway, blood circulation and their general responses.
- Anaesthesia administration outside OT – With the growing demand of anaesthesia care outside the operating room, owing to the advancement in diagnostic techniques and the financial advantages of hospitals in providing treatment outside the hospital settings, more and more procedures are being performed outside the hospital Operation Theatres. Some of the common sites outside OT where Anaesthesia is administered include Emergency room, Neuroradiology department such as CT, MRI and Pain clinic.
- Anaesthesia in Peri-operative period – The department of Anaesthesiology provides complete care to patients before, during and after any surgery. This includes pre-anaesthesia evaluation, Monitoring of airway, blood circulation and general responses during the surgery and post-operative care.
- Anaesthesia and Pain Medicine – Pain Management strongly condemns the belief that pain has to be endured after any surgery. Pain Management services available at Saroj Super Speciality Hospital include:
- Acute pain management services provide quick and safest pain relief to patients post surgery. It also employs specialized invasive procedures to decrease all kinds of acute pains. The program not only promotes quick recovery but also reduces the hospital stay and decreases the chances of one to develop chronic pain syndromes. Thus the department of Anaesthesiology and Pain Management at Saroj Super Speciality Hospital aims to provide quality care to patients and minimize complications through its Acute Pain Relief Services. It also provides pain relief in cases where patients have already been taking strong analgesics for the treatment of non-malignant and cancerous pain.Owing to our highly experienced physicians trained in the field of pathophysiology, neurophysiology and pharmacology, we have been following best pain management practices. The treatments offered at the Pain Management Clinic at Saroj Super Speciality Hospital range from simple medications to interventional pain management programs such as Neural blockade, Intrathecal and Epidural infusions among many others.
- Chronic Pain Management - Treatment for Chronic pain conditions such as low back pain, painful arthritis of joints, headache, low back and neck pain and pain occurring as a result of Painful diabetic neurpathy, fibromyalgia, Herpes Zoster pain, CRPS, Chronic pelvic pain, Post-trauma pain, Genito-urinary pain among other conditions are also available at the Pain Management Clinic at Saroj Super Speciality Hospital.
- Anaesthesia in Surgical ICU – The department of Anaesthesiology provides 24 hour support to the surgical units at the hospital. The critically ill patients requiring vascular, thoracic, neurological, orthopaedic, onco-surgical and general surgery procedures are given complete support by the intensivists from the department of Anaesthesiology. Post anaesthesia Care and Airway Management Services are also being provided by the department of Anaesthesiology.
- Labour Analgesia – The aim of Labour Analgesia is to facilitate pain free delivery of an infant in the mother’s arms