Thanks to our erratic and unhealthy lifestyle, our diets have gone haywire. People these days are eating more of pizzas, burgers and sandwiches than pulses, cereals, and vegetables. Today’s generation is always in a rush and struggling to be on time. All these factors lead to stress, and stress causes the human body to suffer. Eating junk food and surviving on colasor too much consumption of oily and greasy food slows down our body and puts pressure on our liver. Unlike popular beliefs, liver is not just any other human organ, but a very important part of the human body and its significance can never be undermined.
Liver, a three-pound organ in weight, somewhat reddish-brown in colour, and sort of elastic in nature, resides on the right-hand side of the human body, close to the stomach. It keeps the body healthy by performing many important functions. It throws out harmful materials from the bloodstream and helps in the digestion of food. Liver is like that friend of yours which will take the good from you and reject the bad in you.
Liver acts as a metabolizing organ, burning our fats, and converting the food that we eat into essential blood components. It also helps in maintaining the balance between minerals and vitamins in our bodies. Removing bacteria, keeping the immunity system strong and producing bile, an enzyme which helps in the digestion of food, are some of the other important work the liver does.
It only makes sense for us to take care of our liver if it does so much to keep us healthy, and free from diseases. Keeping the liver hale and hearty is no herculean task. Keeping a regular check on our food consumption, making sure we are not eating too much junk, can be the first step towards maintaining a healthy liver.
Here are few more foods whose intake ensures a healthy liver:
- Garlic: Apart from its pungent and strong smell, garlic has many benefits.Allicin and selenium, these two compounds found in garlic, helps in the cleansing of liver.
- Grapefruit: Grapefruit is high in antioxidants properties and Vitamin C, both of which helps in keeping the liver healthy.
- Green Vegetables: No matter how much you hate those leafy vegetables and cannot stand the look of it, but they are extremely healthy for our body and provide us with essential minerals and vitamins. Green vegetables help in cleansing away the toxins from the body.
- Apples: Apples are high in pectin, a compound which helps in removing toxins and wastes from the body.
- Green Tea– It can improve phase-II liver detoxification. It contains anti-oxidant properties which may have protective effects against a range of different cancers.
- Proteins Foods– They are easy to digest proteins; it is a great way to provides amino acids for detoxification as well tissue repairs.
Following a healthy diet is the most important part of liver detoxification:
Foods to include are:
- Fresh fruits & vegetables
- Whole grains & legumes
- Natural dressing – with Olive Oil, Lemon juice or lime juice, Flaxseed oil
- Protein Foods
Food to avoid are:
- Processed foods
- Sugar, caffeine (artificial colors, artificial flavors, artificial sweeteners)
- Meat & eggs
- Fried Foods
Note: Beetroots, Cranberries, Black currants and Lemons are rich source of antioxidants phyto-nutrients and have immune stimulating effects. Cruciferous Vegetables i.e., Broccoli and Cauliflower, Brussel Sprouts may enhance detoxification of undesirable compounds.
Apart from eating good and healthy food, one should also refrain from consumption of cigarettes and alcohol or any form of toxic exposure to the body. Alcohol and smoke not only harm our heart but also aggravates our liver too. It weakens our immunity system and makes us vulnerable to diseases and other ailments. Thus, our only motto for a healthy liver should be to eat clean and stay fit.